Monday, January 31, 2011

Catching Up


Yesterday evening, I headed downtown (if there is such a thing as 'downtown' in Bruges as it's only e schorte groat) to see this film 'Winter's Bone' at the Lumière. If I hadn't turned my head to the right as I was walking by Bar des Amis, a mere 100 meter from my destination, there would've been a review of the film in this space.

Fortunately, as there's been waaay to much movie stuff on this blog the past week, I did look to the right, only to see four of my old high-school pals (Mitch, Friggyman, Kathleen and Evy) waving at me from their table in the BDA.

Now I may be the biggest movie geek you'll ever meet, but I will never, and I repeat NEVER, walk past a table des amis just to watch a film - there's just no way. So I diverged from the planned route, made my way through the crowd at Bar des Amis and sat my ass down to have a drink with my friends.

Mitch, Friggyman, Kathleen, Evy and me go way back, probably to 1999. Back then, we were all sixteen and, apart from Friggyman, we enjoyed our first brushes with the good life. I remember some boozywoozy nights at the premises next to the Vlissinghe bar (the infamous Renier residence) and I don't think any of us will ever forget those nights at the Charlie's with our South-African guests.

Anyway, we stayed in touch over the years, first via weekly get-togethers at Joey's (another bar in Bruges). The contacts were less frequent the last five years, apart from the odd metalfest, housewarming or birthday bash, so it was good to see them again on this odd Sunday night - a time of week where you wouldn't expect to bump into each other and have some drinks.

One beer turned into a couple of Duvels, and by the time it was midnight, Friggyman and the girls were gone and it was just Mitchman and I. We weren't ready to throw in the towel just yet, though, so on we went, to have a last call at the Crash, Bruges' resident metal pub.

Being as metal minded as we are, Mitchman and me didn't pay its vapid beer, its run-down interior and its funny crowd (and by 'funny' I don't mean 'haha funny') much mind; we just enjoyed the music.

We were lucky enough to have Pieter as our bartender, because Pieter's a real music connoisseur. We don't have to ask him to play some Rage Against The Machine or Queens Of The Stone Age tunes, that's pretty standard at the Crash when Pieter's behind the counter. He might jump in with some Metallica or Volbeat, or maybe even some Nirvana - it's all good.

So by the time I normally would've reviewed 'Winter's Bone' on this website, I stumbled out of the Crash.

The blissful feeling that got a hold of me after listening to aforementioned jams more than made up for the lack of sleep which manifested itself this morning, after an all too short night's rest.

Meh: I'll sleep when I'm dead!

Happy trails!

DM

BY THE WAY

Did you notice how fast January went by? I'm still recovering from New Year's Eve...

1 comment:

Storm said...

Bar des amis is een café zoals een café moet zijn! Ik durf er bij mooi weer met mijn dochter wel eens terrassen op woensdagnamiddag na de muziekles!